26 January 2015

Back to School - Studying Tips

I'm pretty sure that at most NZ High School you do exams all through High School although in your first 2 years you don't do the national exams you just do small subject exams for your core subjects (Well at my school anyway). NZ High Schools start in Year 9 and finish in Year 13. Most people start High School the year they turn 14 but if your birthday is in January, February or sometimes even March you usually start the year you turn 13 (Not sure why but that's just how it is).

Just for my international readers Year 9 in NZ is equivalent to...(sorry if these a slightly off but I did a bit of research and I'm pretty sure these are correct)
USA - 8th Grade
Aussie - Year 8
Canada - 8th Grade
England - Year 9

I just used my 4 more common international areas for the equivalents but yeah. 
I was in year 9 last year and had a fantastic first year of High School and we had exams in our 4 core subjects (Maths, English, Social Science and Science). I thought the exams were easy and passed them all with top marks even though I didn't do a whole lot of studying. Although this year I am seriously going to study to get into good habits for my senior years (Years 11-13) at High School. I really do need to study a lot this year though especially if I get into the top class for my year and do the year 11 exams a year early. I would recommend studying especially if you know that you aren't the best when it comes to school. 

I thought I would share some studying tips with you, to help you out in 2015 if you are starting to do exams at your school.

Tip #1 - Take short breaks frequently
Take short breaks (5-10 minutes after every 20-30 minutes or so), That way you won't be studying for hours on end without doing anything in between because chances are you will be getting bored and not taking as much information in as when you started.

Tip #2 - Exercise 
Why not do a little bit of exercise during your breaks to help get the blood flowing, or just get a bit of fresh air during your breaks.

Tip #3 - Food and Drinks
Make sure to have some healthy snacks with you. I would suggest to also keep a glass of water near you to keep you hydrated while you study. I may do a video on healthy snack ideas when my exams come along this year but 1 snack recommendation I have is carrot, celery and/or capsicum sticks with hummus. 

Tip #4 -- Colour
If you are a visual learner and learn things visually, you may want to consider using colourful pens, highlighters, sticky notes and other bright things to help you to remember important things. 

Tip #5 - Recording
If you are a audio learner and learn things by hearing them, why don't you ask if you can record lessons or why not record yourself reading your notes and then listen to them when you are in the car, during lunch, when you wake up or whenever.

Tip #5 - Hand Gestures 
My science teacher last year often made us learn simple hand gestures to help us remember the order in which we had to do things for experiments.So maybe you could try that. It won't work for all things but you could just play around and see what you can come up with to help you remember things.

Tip #6 - Quizzes
Why don't you make fun little quizzes to do with your friends to help you find out what you know and what you need to work on.

Tip #7 - Flash Cards
Why don't you try making flash cards for you and some friends, this is like the quiz and will help you to find out what you understand and what you don't understand.

Tip #8 - Songs
If you are musical like myself you could try and find some songs to help you to remember what you need to know for an exam. For example, if you needed to know the first 10 or 20 elements of the periodic table, you could learn part of the ASAP Science Periodic Table song to help you memorize the elements.

Tip #9 - Friends
Try studying with a buddy. I would suggest studying with a friend of the same ability that way you can both work together instead of one person doing all the teaching while the other listens. Of course you could help your friends if you are ahead of them and maybe if your friends are ahead of you, you could consider asking them if they would tutor you. You could even pay them a little bit or give them something to thank you but if they are your true friends they probably won't expect anything in return. 

#Tip 10 - Ask Google
Use this as a last resort if you really don't understand something.

Thanks, hope this helps you out.

Bye,
KiwiGirlHelp

No comments:

Post a Comment