14 January 2015

Back to School - DIY Book Cover Idea

Today I'm sharing some ideas for DIY book covers. I usually stick to plain drawings but I've come up with some ideas and I think I might try some I've got on my list but you'll have to wait and see what I end up doing (assuming I'm going to do a video or post showing you my school supplies for the 2015 school year.

DIY Book Covers
I'm doing these again this year after using the flocked (velvety/fuzzy) book cover for the past 3 years. I think the last time I did DIY book covers was in Year 6 and I'm going into Year 10 this year! For DIY covers you will need the clear book covering and pretty much whatever you want to decorate the cover with. There are many different ways to decorate book covers.
- Drawings (You could draw on white paper and then glue it to the cover and then seal it with clear book covering)
- Chalk Board (you could paint the cover with chalkboard paint and use it as a chalkboard, this wouldn't need to be sealed with clear book covering otherwise it would defeat the purpose.)
- Magazine collage (cut some pictures out of a magazine and glue them on to the cover and then seal with clear book covering)
- Scrapbook (like the magazine collage except with photos of you, your friends, family, pets etc.)
- Photo Frame (make a frame like thing out of paper whether is plain, coloured or patterned and make sure it is the size of the book you are wanting to put it on. Then cover the back of the frame with clear book covering. Now place the frame on the front of your book and then using clear book covering cover the front of the book making sure you leave the top part open so you can put things behind and into the frame. Make sure to get rid of as many bubbles as possible where the 2 layers of clear book covering meet. This is so you can see the pictures behind as clearly as possible. Because you have left the top open you can slip photos and stuff into it or you could even use it as a pocket for notices and stuff or reminders for the day. I will try and do a tutorial for this because it may be hard to understand from just reading.
- Painting (You could paint the cover completely white and then when that is dry you could do a nice painting or something on it and then when that is dry seal it with the clear book covering)
- Quote Collage (you could print out photos of your favourite quotes and then make a collage. Make sure to seal with clear book covering)
- Music Cover (If you are musical like myself you could take a page of your favourite music to play and then put that on the front cover, I think it would look neat if you made it look really old with tea bags and tearing little pieces off the edges. I may also do a tutorial for this one because I think I might do it if I can find a piece of sheet music I don't need anymore.

The options are endless when you make your own book coverings. Comment letting me know your favourite idea or something you do to make your book covers unique. I will try and get some tutorials up whether that is here or on my YouTube channel I don't know but I'll try and get some up either way.

Anyway I hope you liked these ideas and I will share some other ideas for you stationary soon and I will also try and make some tutorials...

Bye,
KiwiGirlHelp

No comments:

Post a Comment